Sunday, November 27, 2005

...and a side of okra

Big Stupid Tommy loves sweet potato. Yumm. He loves it so much that he says - that forced to choose a last meal, sweet potato would be on the menu.

I love the "What would you have for your last meal?" game. It's kind of like "What would you do if you won a million bucks?" game, but low rent.

I do like some sweet potato and usually serve it instead of white potato as an accompanient to sausage or pork loin. But I'm not sure it would be on my last meal list. The rules of the "last meal game" are: meat and three, drink and dessert. That's it.

So if the warden came to me, and said "Vol, it's time to die. What would like for your last meal?" I guess it would be:
  • catfish
  • fried okra
  • hushpuppies
  • slaw (but the vinegar kind, not the mayonnaise kind)
  • iced tea
  • and lemon ice box pie for dessert.
Then if I were granted a twenty-four hour stay, my second last meal would be:
  • stewed okra and tomatos
  • cheesy grits casserole (that's polenta for you high-dollar readers)
  • sausage
  • grilled sweet potato
  • beer
  • and chocolate chess pie for dessert
And of course, if it were dawn execution, then my last breakfast would be:
  • sausage biscuit
  • gravy
  • grits
  • sliced tomato (but not just one measly, gray slice)
  • coffee
  • and a second sausage biscuit for dessert

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking a full English breakfast, with all the trimmings.

But no black pudding.

saraclark said...

You need to join a "Displaced Southerners" Club. I think you are yearning for home, not an execution. MMmm. You did make me hungry though.

Vol Abroad said...

Gee Nicole - I don't know about the corn dog. What is that? Meat? Veg? It doesn't seem to qualify on either score. And you've clearly already filled the dessert slot with the hot fudge sundae.

I love a corn dog (mmm... I love me a corn dog) but...

Actually, what the hell, it's your last meal...why should I be picking on the nutritional qualities of your choice.