Monday, July 16, 2007

Putting the fun in funeral

Last year I missed the Lambeth Cemetery Open Day. I had a previous engagement. But I was excited to learn that there would be another one this year when we went on one of our frequent walks in the nearby boneyard. I was dying to go. And so we went. And this was the first public event outing for Baby Cletus.

Now, you might think that a cemetery open day would be a moribund affair - and you would largely be right. There was, as far as I could see, a poor turnout. There were not throngs of onlookers crowding the roads as the parade of hearses toured the cemetery.

IMG_7598-1

A gaggle of coffin cars

IMG_7618

The famous Harley Davidson motorcycle hearse


And we didn't manage to get one of the offered rides in the hearses. This one looked quite fun:

IMG_7621

But we did manage to go on the Tomb Trek during which the cemetery manager went around showing us special graves and sharing the history of the cemetery. We learned:

  • around 250,000 people are buried in Lambeth Cemetery. Stacked like hotcakes or buried in between the spaces of old graves. Many of the original graves are long, long gone.
  • The cemetery is chock full of London music hall and variety greats. None of whom I'd heard of - but there were bullet catchers and Wild West type acts and circus folk, too. And that's kinda cool.
  • Charlie Chaplin's father is buried in a mass grave there and Ida Lupino's father and other kinfolk are also buried there (in a private plot).
  • A quarter of an acre of fresh burial space can generate a revenue of £1.5 million

1 comment:

herschelian said...

Hi Vol, I had no idea Lambeth Cemetery has an annual open day. How Jolly! I am fascinated by the big Victorian cemeteries scattered round London - in fact I live close to the one at Highgate where Karl Marx is buried. There is a wonderfully readable and entertaining book on this subject called 'Necropolis - London & It's Dead' by Catharine Arnold. I reviewed it on my blog on Halloween last October. Highly recommended.