Wednesday, July 25, 2007

What does your garden grow?

I like to have a container grown tomato crop. I always forget how big they get, though. But you know what they say...there's just two things in life that money can't buy...and that's love and home grown tomatoes.

I can usually do OK with tomatoes, but my garden is tiny and sometimes our summers here are a little too damp and cool and we're absolutely overrun with snails and slugs. Sure, there are crops that I could grow - like rhubarb which need more cool and which wouldn't do so well in Tennessee. But isn't rhubarb Yankee food? It's a weed. And while I'm all over eating weeds and garbage fish (e.g. catfish) and other peasant grub - I really only ever crave my own soul food. I guess that's the point of soul food.

Sometimes I fantasize about the veggies that I would grow if I had more space, more heat and more blazing sun - i.e. if I were gardening in the South. I would grow tomatoes (lots of them), yellow crook-neck squash, cucumbers, zuchinni, okra and peppers. I might grow asparagus, too - the foliage is so pretty. Maybe I'd grow onions and tomatillos, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Nice site, I found it from Expat Blogs. I enjoyed this post as I just wrote about the death of my tomatoes due to the lovely British summer we're having this year. Check out my site and if you like, maybe we can exchange links?

By the way, I'm willing to overlook your allegiance to the Vols as I imagine that my Dawgs will get back into their Vol-whipping habits this year ;)

Chris

Anonymous said...

Sorry, website is www.chrisdellavedova.com

Anonymous said...

Yellow crookneck squash. I've never seen it here; have you? I'd kill for some though.

Vol Abroad said...

Oh yes, actually I have seen it here. ONCE. At Borough market - about this time of year. A fellow Southerner and I snapped it up. And it was good.