Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Not fast enough

The Cutty Sark* - reputed to be the fastest sailing ship ever built - a clipper in the tea trade and now a museum piece over in Greenwich - burnt up. Cutty spark, as one newsreader announced.

I meant to blog about it. But I have a lot on my mind these days. Kathy F has blogged about it here. She said she didn't go on it because it was closing just as they were arriving. I've never been on it, 'cause I suspect it cost money. (We're very cheap.) But just like Kathy - you think, yeah, it'll always be there...

Now it's not.

Fortunately, big bits of the ol' Cutty Sark were off someplace else for restoration - so these didn't burn up. It's not clear how restorable she'll be, but they're already coming up with giant estimates for the additional costs to an already expensive restoration project.

And the ship has been declared a crime scene. Someone burnt her up on purpose.


_____

*Cutty Sark is also, apparently, the world's first light colored whisky. Isn't it amazing the things that Google can show you. I've never tried the stuff, but it's my view that blended whisky is suitable only for stripping varnish.

No comments: