Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Fastest milk cart in the [South] West

A reader asks:

Is it fun having a milkman?

Well, it's not exactly like this. But it's still pretty cool. I'd resisted getting milk delivered to our door, as it costs nearly twice as much as buying milk at the store. On the other hand, popping in for milk at the local Sainsbury's always results in additional impulse purchases - so maybe overall it saves us money. And the milk, delivered in glass bottles, is not only environmentally friendly (as the glass bottles are reused) but tastes better, too.

This morning it seemed extra fun - because we got a free sample pint bottle of chocolate milk. A near sinful and unneccessary frivolity - but tasty and delicious all the same. The Vol-in-Law informed me that we could have it delivered every fortnight - meaning it wouldn't be quite so decadent as frequent delivery. I'm thinking about it.
-0-
I've always had a slight fear of glass milk bottles. A little boy who lived on First Street in Lawrenceburg when and where VolMom was growing up, ran out of his house one morning and fell on the glass milk bottles and freakishly cut a major blood vessel and bled to death. This is the dark side of milk delivery. I heard this story several times in my early impressionable years, but no doubt it left a deepr impression still on VolMom - who had known the little boy. VolMom greatly enjoyed our delivered milk - but when the taxi came to take her off to Heathrow for the flight back to America - she pointed to the assembled empies by our front door.
"Did I ever tell you about...?" she started.
"Yes, you did," I replied.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We used to have our own little domestic milk crate (cage?) that we put our empties in. Held 6 I think. That got kicked many times without ever breaking a bottle.

Furrow said...

Thanks for answering my question.

I had never thought about the "dark side of milk delivery."