Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Quick update

We're at home now. I had to leave the hospital as it was too exhausting! There are definitely some ups and downs to single payer health care. The actual delivery part of the care was state of the art (though a bit spartan). The post partum ward system was appalling. We got plenty of attention, but I slept almost not at all in the two nights I stayed in after - and it wasn't because of Baby Cletus. I was on a four bed bay with three others, some of them with much less settled babies. And there were quite a number of other, very, very full bays. Plus all the other activities, plus building works in the hospital during the day. So I've now been without any more than a couple hours sleep since Thursday. Hopefully, things will go better tonight - and even if Cletus keeps us up - at least that's all it will be.

Anyway, the full story later.

Here's a quick pic in the meantime.

monkey toes

And more here

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to motherhood Vol Abroad! I'm another expat friend of big D's. I've been reading your blog since his visit. Cletus turned out beautifully. All the best for a good recovery. Congratulations!

Lynnster said...

I hope you get a little more sleep tonight. I know it's probably a big relief just sleeping in your own bed.

The baby is adorable, VA. Since I've only seen pics of his dad and not you, this might not be a good judgment, but he looks an awful lot like his dad to me.

And - you can sure tell the bun was in the oven a little too long! He looks too big to be a brand newborn! In any case, he is absolutely precious. And I love his little wrinkly feet.

Just Larry said...

Congratulations, all babies are great...even ones genetically predisposed to be UT fans.

Anonymous said...

What sweet pictures. I'm glad you're all safe at home. Hope you get some good sleep.

Dan said...

I've read your blog for such a long time and enjoy it more than I can say. I'm so grateful you've shared so many of your experiences and look forward to reading about this wonderful new world you and ViL have entered with Little C. I hope you can keep it up. All the best.

Anonymous said...

He's adorable! He has ViL's head, and his face looks like both of you - I laughed out loud! How cool! Congratulations!!! I can't wait to see him in person some day.

Anonymous said...

I had the exact same experience when Daughter Number Two was born in the U.S. I think it's a result of the rooming-in policy, whereby babies are kept with their mothers 24/7 instead of staying in the nursery with the kindly nurses who only bring them in for photo ops with Dad.

I think babies should be cared for by professionals until they are ready to graduate. (Just my opinion, but then this has been a lousy day of motherhood for me.)