Friday, June 22, 2007

slow recovery

This c-section nonsense sucks. What makes it even (slightly) worse is that I knew it would be bad and tried my darndenest to avoid one.

I've now had two incidents of incision blow out. The first being in a doctor's office, the second in my bed in the early hours of Wednesday morning. These are some freaky experiences - leaking a LOT of fluid from your belly - a place where you hadn't had a hole before. Like enough fluid to soak through gauze, nightgown, bedclothes, into the mattress... The first time I soaked through a whole bath towel and took a ride in an ambulance to the ER. On the upside, that saved me bus fair home - since the ER is less than a block from my house.

This time the fluid was darker in color. This time they seemed to take the incident a little more seriously.

I went back to my doctor for yet another round of antibiotics. I am feeling really frustrated because I'm not really sure what's going on, I feel weak and tired, and the drugs aren't kicking it.

I am trying to rest. I've been watching a lot of daytime tv. I find the shows I liked to watch in the 70s and early 80s the most restful: Quincy, Hart to Hart, I Dream of Jeanie, plus some Columbo and Perry Mason tv movies - still hoping to find a cache of re-runs of Love Boat and Fantasy Island on the cable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, since your mom is there, try just not moving around too much, and simply have them cater to you. Relax, and ask the doctors to explain why they can't stich you up right. You need to heal.

melusina said...

Geez, take care of yourself! Sounds like you have lots of helpers around, so no reason not to just sit back and enjoy some Quincy. I used to LOVE that show, so much that I wanted to be an ME. Go figure.

GingerSnaps said...

I have been there. It was a nightmare. After my C-section I ended up with a uterine infection, then an incision infection, and then to top it all off, ovarian thrombophlebitis (as rare as getting struck by lightning, my doctor told me.) The healing along with trying to nurse and take care of my baby (much less the postpartum blues) was the most frustrating experience of my life.

But I did make it through.

So will you.

Please just hang in there. It will get better. Be kind to yourself and REST.

Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

From Vol Aunt
Cousin #1 said to tell you it took her 2 weeks to walk to the end of her driveway and that her incision leaked also. (not as bad as yours sounds). Cousin # 2 got worn out just walking across the yard. Could you be trying to do to
much???? Baby William (or is he going to be called Cletus) is soooo
adorable!!!!!!!