Saturday, June 16, 2007

Materialistic jubilation and bitter ironies

If you wait long enough, home comforts will come to you. A product line I missed desperately in my early days in the UK has finally arrived from across the Atlantic. Unlike pumpkin pie filling, I found no reasonable substitute (making it from scratch, which turns out to be soooo much better anyway - living in the wilds of Britain has liberated me from the tyranny of branded and pre-processed ingredients). Unlike Karo syrup, I found no exclusive and expensive supply (at Selfridges) or a reasonable, but imperfect facsimile (Golden Syrup).

No, it just wasn't available and nothing came close.

And no, sadly, it's not SunDrop - but something almost as good.

The Sharpie. Yes, the Sharpie is finally available in the UK. I haven't seen it in stores, but I have seen it advertised on tv.


(Image ripped from the official Sharpie site)

Yes, I am a stationery fetishist - but the Sharpie is the supreme permanent marker - it will write on almost anything - as I learned during my undergraduate days as a geology student - marking many, many rock samples with barely a dimunition in flow.

And sure my needs for a permanent marker are less than they used to be, but when you need a Sharpie you need a Sharpie.

And now I can get one here in the UK.

-0-

And then there 's the ironic twist worthy of O'Henry

Now that I can get a Sharpie, is just the time when my household may not be best suited for permanent markers.



Image ripped from here

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

but I bet you can't even sniff the marker yet, since you're breast feeding? Ask your doctor if it's ok.

Drew said...

If I'd known, I would have brought you a big rainbow package of them. Goldie Hawn loves Sharpies, too. My friend worked at the bookstore where she did her SF book signing and she demanded: 5 fuschia sharpies to sign with, lipton tea bags, chamomile tea, and peppermint tea. A pot of hot water. She brought her own mug. I can't remember the snacks she demanded but I recall the words "organic" and "spirulina" She would only sign books purchased at that bookstore. Nothing else would be signed. Put away your private benjamin lunchboxes and 8 x 10 glossies from Laugh-In. Goldie would only sign her name. No personalized messages. Goldie was hardcore.

Anonymous said...

VolAbroad-
1) Congrats on the new baby!
2) How did people live over there without Sharpies?
3) I didn't know you were a geology student - that was my undergrad major!