Monday, November 12, 2007

If they freed me from this prison

I love cable. I'm watching Johnny Cash singing from the Tennessee State Prison 30 years ago. He's doing a train song medley. Everybody's hair looks horribly dated except, oddly enough, for the styles of about 90% of the prisoners.

It wasn't just Johnny playing. but also Linda Ronstadt and Roy Clark and a comedian called Foster Brooks. Anybody remember Foster Brooks? I don't. Is that what passed for funny back in the 70s?

Do folks play prisons anymore? Do prisoners have cable now and watch Johnny playing to inmates of three decades ago? (I guess some of those guys are still in prison.)

Wasn't there a song about a guy who wanted to see Johnny Cash and he got into all kinds of scrapes and so forth and ended up in prison where he got to see Cash. Heh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Billy Bragg played in a prison in Britain recently and I think maybe Pete Doherty as well. Actually maybe I'm just making the second one up. Maybe it's because that's where he's headed. Bragg definitely did.

God I love Johnny Cash! One of two great guys from Arkansas.

Speaking of Arkansas, could you try and get the Vols to drop one against Kentucky or Vandy so my Dawgs have a chance to play LSU? An opportunity they so richly deserve...

Vol Abroad said...

Yeah Billy Bragg, he'd do something like that. Doherty - he will be playing prison - soon, on Thursdays when they let the inmates have access to instruments. Loser.

Speaking of losers, even if I did have sway with the men of Orange I wouldn't dream of asking them to drop one for Georgia. Besides, there's still some kind of unhappy permutation where Florida could squeak ahead if we did lose. And you wouldn't want that, would you?

St. Caffeine said...

Wasn't there a song about a guy who wanted to see Johnny Cash and he got into all kinds of scrapes and so forth and ended up in prison where he got to see Cash.

Yes, it's a Shel Silverstein song. I sent it to you on a "mixed tape" CD a couple of years ago.

Vol Abroad said...

Ahhh....so that's where I know it from.