Saturday, February 14, 2009

A failure of anticipation


By the bridge, originally uploaded by London looks.

Not a great shot of the little guy, but this is the last one I took before he took an unplanned dip in the Wandle River. (River on the map, but smaller than a creek in the geography of my mind, barely a brook).

We were picking up willow switches to hit the tree and then he decided to pitch them in the river. I kinda thought it was a bad idea to get so close to the edge, but I thought it would probably be ok so long as I remained vigilant.

But, of course, it only takes a second and he fell into the water. I fished him out by his hood and stripped him of his wet clothes right there and put him in my sweater and fleecy vest. (It's pretty darn cold out there today, barely breaking 40F by guess). He was screaming at first, but then he seemed to take it pretty well. Better than I might have.

I didn't think he noticed how ridiculously he was dressed, but as soon as we got back in the house he demanded that I remove his sweater dress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah, my favorite Vol is back on the internets! And carrying on with that inimitable parenting style, I see.

I go through this every day. The boy is damn quick and every time we're at the beach I'm fishing him out of the shark infested Australian waters at least once a trip.