Sunday, December 10, 2006

I have a little dreidel

For the past few days, I've had the little dreidel song running through my head.

I have a little dreidel, I made it out of clay,
And when it’s dry and ready, then dreidel I shall play
O dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, I made it out of clay,
And when it’s dry and ready, then dreidel I shall play.

My dreidel’s always playful
It loves to dance and spin
A happy game of dreidel, come play now let’s begin.

At first it was just a happy reminder to look up the Hanukah dates, since I'm not Jewish and I don't celebrate Hanukah. But as a kid I had a fondness for any holiday that lasts eight whole days, celebrates food and involves multiple days of receiving gifts. Hanukah starts December the 16th. Now I know, but the dreidel song wouldn't stop - and of course I couldn't actually remember all of the real words. It became annoying. Really annoying.

Dreidel, dreidel, dreidel - running through my head,
One more verse of dreidel and I'll wish I was dead.
Apparently, I'm not the only person afflicted with dreidel-ness, because there's a whole website of alternative dreidel lyrics - some ridiculously silly, but bound to put kids into paroxysms of laughter. I have to admit this one tickled me.

I have a little dreidel. It came from the UK.
It wrote a little poem and then it shied away.

1 comment:

John H said...

it could be worse..i had that damn mamba #5 song in my head for several weeks back a couple of years ago..and now i've got slartibartfast lodged brainward..the dreidel song is looking pretty good to me....