Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I know I am the wrong type of white person

I've been reading that Stuff White People Like off and on for a while. What white person hasn't? Over time, it's become painfully clear that I am the wrong type of white person. I like some of the things that white people like, but not all of them. Not enough of them. As if my failure to feel the Obama love wasn't enough, this post on unpaid internships lays it out starkly.

White people view the internship as their foot into the door to such high-profile low-paying career fields as journalism, film, politics, art, non-profits, and anything associated with a museum. Any white person who takes an internship outside of these industries is either the wrong type of white person or a law student. There are no exceptions.


No exceptions.

I had an internship. With an oil company. And it was with Exxon. And it was just a year or two after the Valdez incident. And it wasn't unpaid (oh no, far from it).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you think back on it, was it a good or bad experience? I remember fondly the trip down and back with you in that black Toyota pick-up. VM

Vol Abroad said...

It was great.