Thursday, February 22, 2007

On the beat

The Vol-in-Law has just returned from walking the beat with the local police - he sits on a neighbourhood panel - and this was part of his duty.

He stopped by the house halfway through - just so I could finger his kevlar (I'm still off sick).

He said it was just like The Bill (a popular British cop show) - as apparently about a month's worth of stuff happened on his "shift". He's pretty hyped up - telling me about all the crime in our local area.

He was impressed by the woman police officer who was his beat officer. He said she had a real way with criminals - and was able to keep them calm. Apparently, the young crims on the street flipped out when male police officers tried to talk to them or touch them - but when a woman searched them they didn't lose face in front of their crim friends - and so they were able to proceed without escalating the incident beyond control.

I asked if there'd been any arrests. Oh yes, he said. And the ViL told me about a guy who was arrested not so much for the dope they found on him - but for disorderly conduct. Basically, for swearing at the police. The ViL's advice is really, to really, really never swear at the police. He said "That guy could've been your brother," (implying that way his mouth got him arrested). I'll be sure to pass that on to VolBro.

Before that incident - she told the ViL that it was time to make some arrests - so they just headed to a local discount store Primark to find some shoplifters. Apparently, it was "opening a lobster pot" - they just went to store security and rounded up the active shoplifters visible on the security cameras.

with the real Police and PCSO
The ViL breaks cover for this photo with the local coppers

8 comments:

genderist said...

Whatcha gonna do when VIL comes for you?

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm hopeing that ViL keeps the Vol and VolBro out of the klinker. Especially if mouthing off can land you there...
VolMom

Anonymous said...

Are the beat police still unarmed?

Vol Abroad said...

Errrr... tricky question. These are unarmed. Around my way they're unarmed, but more armed patrols have been brought in in South London just in the last two weeks because of a spate of gang related gun murders in the last month.

But not in my borough.

And VolMom - way to have confidence in your kids! I for one have never been arrested. And apparently there is no record of VolBro having been arrested.

Anonymous said...

John Galt:
"Are the beat police still unarmed?"

Yup, and a good thing too, from what I saw. 99.99 times out of 100 the key to good policing is de-escalation, somebody with a gun is inherently threatening. Of course even armed police can be more or less threatening; don't go swaggering down the street like a gunslinger the way I've seen French police do if you want people to treat you as human rather than thec Arm of the State.

Anonymous said...

I just realized that by outing ViL the VA now qualifies for the nickname "Scooter".

Vol-in-Law said...

Actually she had a version with my face blanked out with yellow gunk, but it looked so bad I made her put it up as-is. It's VA who prefers to stay undercover because of her job, not me.

Anonymous said...

Understood. I suppose undercover is difficult when you appear on the telly.