Sunday, February 18, 2007

Cats of London

Jen wants a cat. But she's being turned away by the cat shelters as unsuitable. It's probably easier to get a foster kid in London than it is to get a cat.

Want a kitty in London? Then you better live in some kind of two-parent, stable household, with access to the outdoors and with one or both of you at home, a lot.

Or you better be prepared to fork out a shed load of cash. Like 400 bucks for a regular old cat kind of money*.

Now - me and the Vol-in-Law we're kind of the ideal cat couple, we have a garden, we have a cat flap, we are experienced kitty owners, and we both work from home often enough that our cats aren't alone that much. So we were able to adopt from Battersea (cat and dog shelter to the stars). But many others are not able to, many have been turned away. So many, in fact, that I am able to gloat (yes, gloat) over my Battersea cat adoption. But I only do this occasionally. I'm not gloating now. I feel for Jen.

We had a hard enough time trying to get a cat - before we got Fancy. It was only when we turned up at the shelter with our pre-approved application and an empty kitty carrier gripped in our little fists that we were able to take home Fancy. I've blogged about our Battersea experience before, here and here:

Battersea Dogs' and Cats' Home supplies pets to the stars and turns many lesser mortals away pet-less. So I am quite pleased to have got a cat from Battersea, after three separate visits including a nerve-wracking interview about our cat-owning suitability.


When I told the Vol-in-Law about Jen's predicament he said "Quite right, too. Flat cats are not happy cats. Rent a house with a garden, or even easier just drive out to the provinces and get a cat there."

I don't entirely agree with him. There are plenty of cats particularly those with Feline Leukemia, who would make fantastic apartment cats. But my husband is right about the provinces thing - you can buy cats there on the black market for less than 50 bucks during kitten season.

And Jen, keep up the hope and the cat search:

i just know there’s a cat out there waiting for us, needing someone to love. and i know eventually we’ll find it. it’s just the anxious anticipation and the searching that’s so hard.


Black cat on shed roof
Fancy with her exclusive Battersea medallion (before she lost it).
_________
*I don't know why I don't get into the cat breeding business...

10 comments:

Lynnster said...

My god, I had never heard that before. And to think how many literally thousands of cats and kittens are in shelters and humane societies and other facilities in the US so desperately needing homes.

My former longtime co-worker, who has given shelter to many stray mama cats with kittens over the years, just had another one turn up the other day with five newborn kittens. And this time she's going to have to find alternative housing for them when they're ready to leave Mama because she has cats coming out of her ears at home from all the past rescues. I'd see that your friend got one (or as many as she wanted) in a heartbeat if y'all weren't so far away, I'm so sorry.

jen said...

Aww, thanks Vol Abroad.

Yeah, I've had flat cats before (in NYC) who were the most contented cats you could ever hope to find.
As long as they get plenty of interaction, exercise and affection, they're very happy. And certainly a damn sight happier than living in a shelter.

As for being home during the day, cats are largely nocturnal for crying out loud!

But I don't want to give money to people practicing irresponsible breeding practices either.

It's a quandry.

Anonymous said...

In LA I never let my cats outside and they were fine-- I'm frankly against letting them go out. . . fear of getting run over and their fur stayed clean. They were really happy and well exercised and weren't fat at all.

Not saying that other folks ought not to let their critters out if that is what they wanna do-- I have just found it a major cultural divide.

In LA you can't adopt a cat if you are going to let it run wild and here you can't unless you do.

Pisses me off frankly.

Anonymous said...

Hey, the stars in the USA travel out of the country to adopt kids... Lets start a service for Londoners who want to adopt pets...there are so many good dogs and cats behind pet bars here, waiting for adoption. I see a need and a supply! a t ver RT

Anonymous said...

SAME crap here in Germany to get A cat! Nearly had the police at our door, sent by a FRAU who seemed to be the major boss of an animal adoption agency. TWO or none! Pre-approved VET and potential animal care for vacations! On and on! All the while I am seeing the "wild" ones in and around our apartment complex. UN-real. If only children were treated with AS MUCH care.

genderist said...

Zolfot lives a content life in our apartment. She is spoilled rotten and HORRIFIED of things outside. She would think her world was ending if we were to put her on the patio.

(The name at first was purely for amusement, but it wasn't long before we realized she had kitty social anxiety disorder.)

Vol Abroad said...

I really don't understand this 2 cat thing. Yes, there are plenty of cats who seem happier with another cat living with them - but there are plenty of other cats who would MUCH rather be a sole cat.

I don't agree that cats are just as happy living solely indoors as having indoor-outdoor easy access. But I do agree that there are worse situations than being an indoor cat.

Anonymous said...

We have a couple of new chilrun at our house.

http://flickr.com/photos/nu4jj

Vol Abroad said...

Those little kittens are ADORABLE

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Their names are Nick and Nora. I'll bet you can figure that out.