Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Stubborn baby

Apparently it's quite normal to worry about your baby's in utero movements - or lack of them. Early on, if I felt Cletus moving and laid my hand on my tum - he would stop. And he would never, ever perform for daddy. This didn't make me worry about the health of Cletus, but it did cause me a little concern about his potential personality. Was this a sign of latent orneriness? Was he being a stubborn baby?

Today I had a doctor's appointment and my GP asked if the baby was moving - "Yes," I said, but I told her that I didn't expect much movement following the appointment. Whenever the doppler had been used to measure his heartbeat, he'd stopped moving for about 24 hours afterwards. "I don't think he likes it," I said.

The healthcare professionals seem to be in the habit of really shoving that doppler into my belly and thus into Cletus. Ouch. No wonder the little fellow sulked for a full day.

Today she was more gentle. The softer approach didn't seem to harm the measurement and little Cletus hasn't sulked.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine little Cletus being stubborn, where would he get that trait? Don't let that woman poke the little baby anymore. Tell her I'll be coming after her. (She shouldn't poke you either.)VolMom