Thursday, February 16, 2006

Dispensing more advice

Well, I've finished a finalish draft of the book/pamphlet which will only increase my fame in my arcane, frankly a bit dull, professional field. This should mean I have a bit more time for my personal interests. I suppose this also means that I will be further professionally type cast, but I guess we all have our burdens to bear. Funny thing about being an expert - doesn't mean I can actually do what I tell other people to do so convincingly.

But I do so love to dispense advice. I was recently asked for my interpretation of Islamic law by a devout Muslim. Now, I'm hardly an Islamic scholar, but I did read Teach Yourself Islam once, I guess that's close enough. What was the quandry? Did taking a cough syrup containing alcohol constitute a breach of sharia?

Well, I could have said: "Sweetie, gosh, that's a big one. Now that you've taken that, you better hang up the head scarf. I don't think you're even a Muslim anymore. To help you transition into the life of the kafir, we'll hit the bars tonight and just as soon as the weather gets warm enough, I'll fire up the grill and introduce you to VolBro's tastiest-tenderest-ribs-in-the-world recipe*."

But instead, I paused and pretended to ponder (a great device for convincing people you know what you're talking about). "Well, it's medicinal. I think that's ok, as long as you're taking it for medicinal purposes. It's about intent."

Any more questions?

_______
* I use his recipe, but I can't reproduce his ribs exactly. I try to get him across the pond once a year just to make him cook those ribs.

4 comments:

St. Caffeine said...

Since no one else has done this, let me take the opportunity to congratulate you on becoming a published writer -- though of course you did that at the Wildcat's Roar long ago. Still, CONGRATS!

Vol Abroad said...

old news I'm afraid...I've a few pubs in my dreary field, but thanks!! This one should be a handy size that should slip in my backpack easily so I can give them as gifts to all my friends and family.

Anonymous said...

I want a golden pamphlet.

Vol Abroad said...

You're welcome to one...woo hoo...I'll post out dozens.