Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I'm Danicus

Newspapers across Europe are taking a stand by publishing cartoon images of the Prophet Mohammed. A Danish paper got into big trouble for publishing a series of such images back in the Autumn. There's been furore aplenty - Saudi Arabia recalled its Ambassador, Libya said it would close the Danish embassy, EU offices were raided in Palestine (demonstrating a remarkable level of gratitude for the years of dubious EU funding there) and Danish products have been boycotted across the Middle East.

Yikes! All for 12 pictures - though granted, some might well be deemed as offensive, and of course, Islam prohibits the depiction of the prophet in any context. (And let's give a little bit of a hand to the Imams in Denmark who helped reach a compromise.)

I wrote yesterday about how the Danish newspaper recently apologised for any offense caused, but not for publishing the cartoons.

Let me applaud the France's Paris Soir and Germany's Die Welt and of course all the online journals and blogs that have published these cartoons, standing shoulder to shoulder with the Danes and Jyllands-Posten.

I do wonder how many British newspapers will do the same, given that a law against "stirring up religious hatred" passed in Parliament last night (though not the stupidest, sternest version of it).

UPDATE: The editor of Paris Soir is sacked.

My comments on comments: I see a couple of commenters are questioning whether German, French, Italian and other papers should have published these cartoons. I agree that publishing the cartoons might be a poke in the already sore eye of the offended Muslims and that it could be seen as deliberately provocative. Maybe it is.

But in the UK at least, we face a situation of small errosions of our freedoms of expression lest we offend Islam. This means no images of pigs at Dudley Council, Burger King pulls its "offensive" ice cream and further no depiction of the prophet in a newspaper or Saudi Arabia will pull their ambassador.

In the UK, we face a situation where new legislation means that speech "offensive" to Islam might be prosecutable. There are not the same protections for freedom of speech that there is in the US, so in Europe there's a need to push back to say "this far and no further".

Speech that incites violence, that encourges people to attack others is wrong. But speech that encourages others to go into a paroxym of rage because of their offended sensibilities should not be outlawed. No one has the right to go around in a protective bubble free from anything that might offend them.

7 comments:

Worrier said...

I have to admit the "we ran out of virgins" one is funny. Not too impressed with the others - of course I can't read most of the text.

I hadn't heard about this before. I doubt any US paper will do similar - and that's probably for the best.

Anonymous said...

I belive in a free press but I do have to say doing something like these just to piss off is a bit much.But what do I know as we here state side can't say nothing mean to king Bush..And now that I have said something his NSA people are reading it...Spy right on there bush yes I'm a really bad short, chubby, spy.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why that guy in High Wycombe wasn't arrested for inciting violence. He said he wanted a jihad against BK.

Or at the very least making threats against the monarch.

Vol Abroad said...

I want a jihad against BK - for making tasty, fattening onion rings. And another jihad against the new freaky version of the Burger King. Have you seen that commercial?

Anonymous said...

What if you want to debate the proposition in Britain that the Koran is an inheherntly violent book and shouid be rejected? Is that against the law?
Feivel

Vol-in-Law said...

Well, anonymous, that was one of the things Nick Griffin was charged with saying, and I believe the jury failed to reach a verdict on whether it "incited race hatred" so he may be retried for it.
Mind you I don't think the Koran is any more violent than most of the Old Testament, it's more about interpretation (or lack of it).

Vol-in-Law said...

BTW my parents know some "radical atheist" friends, little old ladies, who often say things like "God is so wicked!", ignoring his non-existence in their dilike of the fellow. They say very similar to what Griffin said, but about Christianity (although I doubt they love Islam either). As they're left-wing Marxist rather than proto-fascist I expect they're exempt from prosecution though.