Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Treat me like a queen

In a post not authorised by me, the Vol-in-Law expresses some question over the Lawrence Summers - head of Harvard - resignation after his dubious remarks about women in the sciences.

Then he gets into it in the comments section with one of the regular readers. One point that caught my eye was the use of the terminology queen and king - and whether one is of lower value than another.

Now this reminded me of the time that I worked in an office in God's own stadium with two female (engineers both) co-workers. They were bemoaning the fact that the Promise Keepers were coming to town and having a rally in that very stadium.

I hadn't really paid that much attention to the Promise Keepers, so I wasn't entirely sure what their objection was. One of their principal objections was the attitude toward women in general and their wives in particular.

"They tell them to treat women like queens!" my co-workers said.
"What's wrong with that?" I said.
They stared at me aghast. I press.
"You know, putting women on a pedestal, the little woman, treat her like a queen."
"Oh..." I said, finally getting it. "That kind of queen, I was thinking like Elizabeth I, put-him-in-the-Tower, Spanish-Armada-defeating kind of queen."

_____

Interestingly on the Promise Keeper website, it's all men, men, men...til you get to the volunteering section, the hard slog of promise keeping, and there are only pictures of women.

Have to dash...must start cooking dinner for the Vol-in-Law.

1 comment:

genderist said...

That's right, woman, go to your place in the kitchen!