Wednesday, February 15, 2006

No more Ms Nice Gal

I've been having lots of posting problems... so here's hoping this actually shows up.

So the UK Parliament voted overwhelmingly to ban smoking in public places last night. I have several contradictory reactions:

1. Good. I'm too old to still be smoking. And banning it in pubs will mean that the source of my greatest weakness will be removed. (Smoking while drinking).
2. Bad. My libertarian streak and my tobacco addicted core bristle.
3. Ha! For all you Brits who laughed at the NYC smoking ban and said it wouldn't, it couldn't happen here because the British weren't the cringing, nannying sort, what do you say now?
4. Stupid. Ok Labour Government you're just about to criminalise a whole class of people who are generally pretty law abiding. Once you take the first step into lawlessness, the rest becomes easy.

No doubt this law will alter my behavior, and even before it comes into affect.

I've always been uneasy with the British free-for-all, one big smoking zone, approach. I'd rather be segregated, sitting with my filthy friends, my nicotine brethren, than to be cheek by jowl with sneering, scowling non-smokers in restaurants. I would remove myself to have my post-prandial smoke elsewhere in crowded, mixed zone restaurants out of respect for others. Now, non-smokers, you've had your way, and I'll have mine. I shall light up without regard while I still can.

5 comments:

Anglofille said...

An American friend of mine was here visiting recently and she was shocked to see people smoking in restaurants. It's interesting how quickly the anti-smoking campaigners in the US have altered people's thinking.

It seems to me that a country with a national health service has a monetary interest in reducing the level of smoking. I'm surprised it's taken this long for such a law to be passed.

jen said...

As a (recently) ex-smoker, I also have mixed feelings. I want to retain the option of being able to smoke at Caffe Neros (just in case I ever fall off the nicotine wagon)... but I've always been extremely uncomfortable with forcing my smoke down other people's throats.

But: it was bound to happen, and if they can do it in NYC without the sky falling down, they can do it here.

Anonymous said...

From today's Wall Street Journal re Patricia Hewitt..."Can a middle-class Australienne really tell England's yeomen to extinguish their cherished "snout"?"

I maintain the smoking choice of an establishment should be the owner's. Ban smoking and live with the clientel it attracts (or doesn't as the case may be). Free market system, what?

Anonymous said...

Smoking kills. Doesn't it say so in bold black on white on the packs? I'm happy smoking in London will become inconvenient.

I agree it is very strange, as an American, to see people light up in a restaurant. After you see the light, it's hard to go back.

Vol Abroad said...

Vol K you are mean.