Friday, August 17, 2007

Blood sugar bonanza

An article in Wednesday's Tennessean provides recipes using some of the MidSouth's favorite sweeties. Including a cake recipe using SunDrop , that nectar of the gods, which the Tennessean describes thusly:

Quench that thirst

Another popular local soda pop, Sun Drop, which originated in St. Louis, started like many drinks of the day, with the parent company selling its formula to small bottlers across the country. One of the largest bottlers remains in nearby Pulaski, which feeds a strong and fiercely loyal pocket of fans in the counties south of Nashville that buffer the Alabama line.


Fiercely loyal? Addicted more like. Mmmmm - SunDrop. Once only available in a limited area - now you can order the stuff online. Do you think they ship transatlantic? In exchange for a permanent advertising space on this blog?

Hmmm, I think VolMom might know the Pulaski bottler - hook me up, let's make a deal.

6 comments:

Just Larry said...

I was once in a Pepsi owned plant in Pulaski. If you know anything about the Cola wars, you know they are fierce (ie. You can't bring KFC into a Coca-Cola plant for lunch).

Anyway, the only non-Pepsi owned product in the vending machines was Sun Drop.

Anonymous said...

The distributor, not the bottler.
Sorry. VM

Anonymous said...

I went on a field trip to the Sun Drop plant in high school (we ran out of places to go in Loretto by the end of middle school, and Lawrence County by sophomore year.) It was really cool. Sun Drop's so big down there that I'm fairly certain that they'll start pumping it through the water supply soon.

I could probably work out a trade agreement where I send you 12-packs and you send me English teas and Britpop stuff. :D

Vol Abroad said...

Dang - LHS went to the SunDrop plant.

We thought we were a step ahead of y'all - being at LCHS, but we never went to the SunDrop plant.

I've been out of high school for almost 20 years - and I'm feeling robbed.

Vol Abroad said...

Oh yeah, pipe it to the house.

Taps read:


Hot
Cold
Cold drink

No need to label it SunDrop in Lawrence County.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I don't figure anyone buys anything else like Dew in LawCo. They go straight for the good stuff.

I think that the main reason we got to go to the plant was because I graduated with the daughter of the LawCo distrbutor (incidentally, they were also part of Story & Lee, and I'm close kin to both sides of that group. You can buy 25-cent Sun Drop at S&L if you're shopping there. But I digress.)

The coolest thing about going to the plant was that they were bottling the glass bottles that day. You couldn't buy the glass in those parts at that time, so it was kinda like watching someone bottling Cristal. Now you can get the bottles in all the stores, and they taste much better than cans.