Sunday, January 15, 2006

five things

Tagged by Rex L. Camino on the 5 things blog meme, I comply. BTW, Rex... this was hard.

5 JOBS YOU'VE HAD IN YOUR LIFE: (1) WDXE disk jockey (rock on FM, country on AM), (2) garden center worker, (3) press officer for a toothless regulator, (4) management guru (merely a minor guru and that's not my official title), (5) and my suckiest job - waitress at Shoney's.

5 MOVIES YOU COULD WATCH OVER AND OVER:
None. I hardly ever watch movies. But films that I have seen more than once and could watch again are: The Divorce of Lady X, Paint Your Wagon, The Wizard of Oz, The Sound of Music, Angel and the Badman.

5 PLACES YOU'VE LIVED -
Knoxville, TN; Nashville, TN; Lawrenceburg, TN; Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico, and London, England.

5 TV SHOWS YOU LOVE TO WATCH: though slightly disturbing to admit I love to watch those forensic file, cold case murder documentaries which are many and varied but deserve to be lumped into one show; ER; the British version of The Office; David Attenborough nature documentaries; and I'm bending the rules a little...the Today programme on Radio 4.


5 PLACES YOU'VE BEEN ON VACATION:
Helsinki; Natchez, Mississippi; Budapest; Bucharest; and Dollywood.

5 WEBSITES YOU VISIT DAILY:
my work website (OK, not at weekends), Nashville is Talking, Rocky Top Brigade, my Flickr account, and I try to get through my blogroll on a regular basis.

5 OF YOUR FAVORITE FOODS:
okra, sweet potato, home grown tomatoes, cornbread, various permutations of bean stew

5 PLACES YOU'D RATHER BE:
hmmm... I think it's best to be happy where you are in the moment and perhaps plan to make a visit to places you'd like to go - so I'm glad to be right here, though I wouldn't mind being: (1) in my very own swanky central London house with garden on a peaceful square; (2) Knoxville; (3) in some other funky Southern college town; (4) on a boat on the Tennessee River on a warm and sunny day with someone else as designated captain; (5) on my way out of a "Big Bowl" with my brand new TN Vols National Champion souvenir drink cup, a good buzz, and two fingers to every other college team in America.

5 ALBUMS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT - difficult, this is the kind of thing that's very mutable and I'm cheating by including my own mixes - (1) Johnny Cash, American IV; (2) Laura Cantrell, When The Roses Bloom Again; (3) The Best of Steeleye Span; (4) my own mix CD of Southern rock modelled on K-Tel's Dixie Fried Rock advertised on tv in the late 70s/early 80s but which I never actually bought; (5) and my own mix of Southern nostalgia songs including such favorites as Dolly Parton's In My Tennessee Mountain Home and Tennessee Homesick Blues, Granpa Jones' Are You from Dixie?, Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama; and the Allman Brothers' Southbound.

Honorable mention goes to: my own mix of "porch songs" - from Hank Williams, Sr., Jimmie Rogers, the Carter Family, the Mississippi Sheiks and others of this ilk, which I haven't actually made yet but I think about doing every summer.

5 folks I'm tagging: St Caffeine, Genderist, the Vol-in-Law (yeah, it's a cheat), Nicole in London, and my near neighbour - Jen of Jen's Den of Iniquity.

3 comments:

genderist said...

Now I have to think! That wasn't on my to-do-list today...

Anonymous said...

"(1) WDXE disk jockey (rock on FM, country on AM)"

Small world. I am an alumnus of WDXI in Jackson back when there were 7 stations in The Dixie Network.

jen said...

Ooh, goodness, that's a hard one... okay, will do.