Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I'm an American Leader

I'm just back from a reception at the residence of the American Ambassador to the Court of St James (UK). And let me tell you, that Ambassador, he was really spoiling us.

I had to run the gauntlet of Embassy security, past what must be the ugliest security barricades in London and sit through a conference of endless presentations from Embassy staff to make it to the reception. But, it was worth it.

First off, should you ever have the privilige to go the Ambassador's residence, Winfield House, smack dab in the middle of Regent's Park, go. It is a beautiful house in beautiful grounds. I'd been before, but during the Clinton administration. And even though I don't vote Republican, I have to hand it to them. They really know how to cater an event.

Under the Clintons, we had dry nasty sandwiches and sour Australian wine. Under the Bush administration, we had, well, whatever we wanted on the drinks and an amazing selection of hors d'Oeuvres (including caesar salad in little pasty shells and soup - yes, soup!!) some of them served on the coolest toothpicks I've ever seen (crystal shard looking things and twirly real bamboo jobs). Of course, I was chatting around so you can't take full advantage and anyway it doesn't seem right to hog down on the ambassador's party food, but it was impressive.

The event was called The Conference of American Leaders. Yeah, that's me, the Vol Abroad, an American Leader. (Ha! Actually, I went in someone else's stead, and I'll have a lot of typing up to do.) It's just a dang shame they didn't give us nametags saying: Hi, I'm Vol - an American Leader. I could wear that around and tell you what to do.

What it was really all about
Although the US Embassy is basically our town hall, state and federal government rolled into one, handling American issues of taxation, representation and benefits, they have traditionally done very little outreach to the American expat community. Ambassadors do hold a 4th of July party and a big fun reception on Presidential election night (I haven't been to either of these and they are really about host country relations), but the Embassy just hasn't done a lot of good consultation and communication with us otherwise.

This event was meant to be the beginning of a change to that, and I have to admit I'm impressed. Most of it was good solid, non-partisan info which I will be sharing with a lot of other Americans. However, one staffer tried to get us to share four talking points about how Bush is doing such a great job on global warming with our host citizens. I just tuned out.

I'm really pleased that the Embassy and the new Ambassador Robert Tuttle seem to be taking their outreach role seriously. Sharing information about citizen services and obligations is what government is supposed to do. Well, that and feed me tasty tidbits on trays and keep the drinks coming.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could make a snarky comment about how, with a stay-at-home tea-totaller in the White House, as opposed to his partying predecessor, they had to send all that good booze and food out to the embassies, but I won't

Seriously, when I host a victory party--it will be more like what you saw at Winfield House this go around--and you'll be invited.

Anonymous said...

you couldn't put some snack in a pocket? Sorry I'm a ill manner Kentucky person ( Louisville Card fan at that)

Vol Abroad said...

Yeah, I put some of that soup in my pocket, and boy was that embarassing!

Actually, I did take one of those really cool crystal shard toothpicks.

Vol Abroad said...

Oh...and to Mr Krumm, when the Cinton appointee was in place (I can't remember his name, but they were earnest policy folks from Arkansas) they made a big deal about telling us how federal regs prohibited them from actually feeding us, and so they had to get sponsorship for the event.

So either the rules have been changed (hmm...why is our Federal deficit up?), or they broke the rules (they have no respect for good governance?), or mega rich Mr and Mrs Tuttle put their hands in their own pockets or were good at fleecing sponsors.

Actually, it probably was not a bad use of money even if it came from the embassy budget. They picked a group of people who could disseminate the information widely and it was probably a lot less expensive and far more effective than putting an ad in the International Herald Tribune.

My write up of the event (with boring details of how you can pay your taxes via the London IRS office) will reach thousands of other expats who hopefully will share it wider. I probably would have done it without the swanky reception, but me and others talking about the swanky reception will ensure that they get good turnout for future events which in the main are incredibly dull.

I throw a lot of boring policy and process events myself, and good catering = good turnout, and it doesn't cost much more than mediocre catering. I'm naturally cheap and very careful with public money (yes, I'm catering on the public pound for my events) and it took me a long time to understand that the bit extra I spend on good food actually is good value for money.

Anonymous said...

You are so right about how a little extra spent on catering really makes a difference. Wine and food are two things in life that should be done well.

Anonymous said...

Ceasar salad in pastry shells? Bleh. You'd think Abramoff could have shelled out for some cool stuff.

Sorry. I'd take a PB&J any day over a piece of salad.