Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Blogging against sexism

Apparently it's International Women's Day - and as an international woman, I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I expect that the cards and gifts were simply delayed in the post.

We're also supposed to be blogging against sexism today. Well, I'm agin' it, you bet I am. Mel of Mel's Diner has an interesting post on check-paying and gender stereotyping. We all have our pet peeves, I've been annoyed by the same thing, too, though probably not enough to think of blogging about it. Also, I'm cheap, cheap, cheap - so glad to let whoever I'm eating or drinking with pick up the tab. (It's terrible, I know!)

I'll tell you what really bugs me - the kind of sexism that both men and women display about the opposite gender and each other. It's the thoughtless sentences that begin "All men..." or "All women..." even when they're positive statements. Men are in control of their emotions. Women are in touch with their feelings. Men are excellent parallel parkers. Women are good with people. I'm not a bad parallel parker, and I'm afraid I'm neither in touch with nor in control of my feelings. I'm not that great with people, either. Maybe things would go better if I picked up the check.

-0-

Now, blogging under a non-gender specific pseudonym, has given me a very interesting perspective. Most people tend to assume that I'm male - it's happened time and time again when I get linked. The Vol Abroad, he this and that. (Check out the comments section in this TV on the Fritz post) I don't mind in some ways and I don't find it that surprising.

On those brain sex tests I come out thinking "more male" or certainly not stereotypically female. I always knew I thought slightly differently from the other little girls and was sometimes more comfortable in male company. At any rate, I usually don't match up with the "All women..." statements, but sometimes I do. I vacillated between thinking that all the other girls had been oppressed by society and if they were free of these contstrictions that they'd think like me or on the other hand, that I'm a freak. Now I don't worry so much, I am what I am and what I am needs no excuses. (Well except for the part about being cheap)

-0-

There's lots more serious, global issue type stuff I could have said about sexism, but I'm sure others say it so much better. Check out Tennessee Guerilla Women, Anglofille, Thoughts of an Average Woman to name a few of the ones I read regularly.

3 comments:

St. Caffeine said...

What? You're not a man? I don't believe it!

T.V. Fritz said...

I'm sorry for thinking of you as a man. But then again, as a stereotypical gay man, I always have penises on my mind. So you can't really blame me...too harshly.

Vol Abroad said...

Well, as someone who has, from time to time, suffered from a similar preoccuptation, I empathise.