Sunday, March 26, 2006

C-bomb

I got some bad news at work on Friday - not devastating, but very disappointing. I've been working like a D.O.G. for about the past six weeks - I mean really pulling out all the stops to the point where I've been really mentally exhausted and creatively tapped out. And now the project I've been working so hard to complete and have overcome many hurdles to finish on time has been delayed by another organisation - totally beyond my control.

Anyway, I left work in the middle of the afternoon, just from being fed up and wandered around central London in search of an effective retail therapy. I met up with the Texan and the Vol-in-Law and did a little bar-hoppin', ate in China Town and met up with some more friends at the labrynthian, subterranean gigantic Waxy O'Connor's pub near Leicester Square. I drank too much.

So yesterday, I nursed me a hangover and stayed off the Internets. And therefore missed this post. I only discovered it after checking my email this morning - where I had the personal message from Genderist of Haiku of the Id. She has cancer.

Genderist is one of those people who while not actually kin to me is a member an associated family, that is - there are three generations of friendships (I used to play with her cousin who is my age when we were visiting our grandparents who lived about two minutes walk apart) and I've known her all her life. We went to the same church in Lawrenceburg. She's not my contemporary, so I can't say that I've really hung out with her all that much, but I've really enjoyed reading her blog and getting to know her better through that over the past year.

Genderist is an oncology nurse herself - so she's an informed patient and says:

My Professional Opinion

Don't cry for me, Argentina. It is true that I've got cancer, and it'll be true that I'll have a time of suck to get through, but everything should be okay. The type of cancer I have is 100% treatable and has very successful treatment plans.

If you've got to have cancer, it's not one so shabby to have. I will be on a thyroid-replacement hormone for life, but it's relatively cheap.


So I guess we have to respect her professional opinion, but keep her in your thoughts just the same. Go on over there, leave a nice comment and give her a little link love.

No comments: