Friday, March 03, 2006

Insomniac fun

When I can't sleep, I play with numbers. Sometimes I pick a random number - say 351 and then count backwards by sevens. Other times, I hunt for primes. Lately, I've been trying to figure out how to apply a divison rule to multiples of seven. For example, you can always tell if a number is divisible by 9 if you add all the digits together and they equal 9. Take 45, 4+5 = 9, so 45 is divisible by 9.

I couldn't discern any pattern by adding digits together, but it usually got me to sleep eventually.

I should have just Googled it. I was never going to find the division rule of 7 the way I was going. I happened to stumble across it when I was looking for something else.

Here it is:

To find out if a number is divisible by seven, take the last digit, double it,
and subtract it from the rest of the number. Example: If you had 203, you would
double the last digit to get six, and subtract that from 20 to get 14. If you
get an answer divisible by 7 (including zero), then the original number is
divisible by seven. If you don't know the new number's divisibility, you can
apply the rule again.


You can find that rule and a whole lot more at the math forum.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excuse me, isn't it just a lot easier to divide a number by 7 and see if you have a remainder? What use could be made of this rule of 7? Is this the answer to...world peace, cancer cures, getting rid of garden slugs?

VolMom

Vol Abroad said...

No, it isn't easier if you have very large numbers

Anonymous said...

Ok, I was just thinking too small.
VM