Wednesday, March 08, 2006

old acquaintances

I note that Clint Brewer has been named editor of The Nashville City Paper, commented on by Bob Krumm and by Bruce Barry at Pith in the Wind.

Seeing his name is a bit of a blast from the past. I met him at Governor's School in 1987, where I once played a mean (and stupid) trick on him. We were then at college together, too, but didn't hang out. The last time I saw him, I gave him an earful over a story I disapproved of when he was editor of the UT student newspaper, The Daily Beacon. It was in a bar in Knoxville's Old City, and I'm afraid I was very, very drunk.

The City Paper is growing and changing,” TCP Interim Publisher Jim Ezzell said. “We will continue to make our paper better every day, and Clint is just the person to lead us into the future.”
I hate to say it, but when I think of him, I still think of 17-year-old Clint, apoplectic over my prank. It's hard enough to think that I'm supposed to be a responsible adult without imagining old acquaintances having matured, too, and even leading people into the future. Or maybe I should just grow up.

Anyway, congratulations Clint!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back at UT in the late 80s, I seem to recall you making a comment about how his mushroom-wedge haircut was hiding his oddly shaped head. This was Kirsten H's nemesis, right?

Vol Abroad said...

Yep, same guy!