Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Campaign time

It's local election time in England. On May the 4th, electors all over the land probably won't bother to go to polls to elect local councillors. In one sense, these elections are a bit like a midterm in the US, as they'll be seen as a referendum on the current government. But it's only a year since the last general election in the UK,

I can't vote, so I have a good excuse for not turning out. But that won't stop me from attending a victory party should my local candidates win. They're young and fun and bust the stereotype of pensioned off white fellows (not that there's anything wrong wiith having quite a few of those on councils that have between 50 and 60 councillors each in the UK system)

Folks have been campaigning hard where there are elections. The Labour government isn't at it's most popular right now and the other two main parties the Liberal Democrats and the Conservatives are hoping to make gains, and of course the Labour candidates are hoping to hold ground.

I saw a Labour canvasser out on the street yesterday. I smiled at him, even though I support the Conservative candidates locally. I'm glad to see vibrant local democracy. He latched on to my small gesture and engaged me in coversation. I guess things hadn't been going well. I was very polite, friendly even, but I doubt what I had to say cheered him much.
--------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

________________________________________________________________________
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive
anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit:
http://www.star.net.uk
________________________________________________________________________

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you and VIL are involved-even if it is with the Conservatives. My greatest fear in life (after being stranded somewhere with nothing to read) is to grow older and turn conservative. The Original Vol said that I had nothing to fear, and at near 60 I am still a flaming liberal. But I can't rest easy until I'm retired or 80 or done -- whichever is last.

VM

Anonymous said...

Advertise the formation of a liberal political club in Lawrenceburg and see how many turn up for the meeting.

Anonymous said...

VM:
" I am glad you and VIL are involved-even if it is with the Conservatives."

Hi Vol Mum - our London Conservatives are pretty darn Liberal by L'burg standards! If you met them I think you'd find that even you were closer to them than to Labour, who have a strong authoritarian streak.