Tuesday, April 04, 2006

My local

My local pub is shut now for refurbishment. But it's less a refurbishment and more a metamorphisis from dark, cheap drinking den - a spit on the sawdust floor kind of place - to a chi chi gastropub.

On the one hand I'll miss it - it reminded me strongly of the Long Branch on the strip in Knoxville (the new one - now probably 13 years in its present location) with all the wood and the pool tables. We stopped in for a drink when we were looking for a house - and it was one of the things that sold me on the area.

Though unlike the Long Branch I so fondly if hazily remember, the restrooms in my local aren't ankle deep in piss. But I can do without some aspects of authenticity in my sentimentality.

On the other hand Tooting locals suggest that if successful it could raise house prices and help with the further transormation of the area. And even though I'll miss the undercurrent of danger, it would be nice to have a good restaurant that isn't a curryhouse (we have loads of great curry in the area).

Plus I've found a new cheap place to drink beer. The Vol-in-Law has just joined the local Conservative Club (though his key and membership have yet to come through in the post). It's large and smoky and the prices are cheap. I spent Saturday afternoon tippling with the local Tory candidates for the May council elections (all a good bunch), current local councillors, and even a former Government minister. You don't get that at the Long Branch.
--------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

________________________________________________________________________
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive
anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit:
http://www.star.net.uk
________________________________________________________________________

4 comments:

melusina said...

Ah yes, the Long Branch. I spent one dark, drunken night there on a visit to Knoxville. Splendid!

Anonymous said...

I take it your local is a free house. How about after the refurb?

Vol Abroad said...

I'll have to get the Vol-in-Law to answer all those questions - I've never been able to get my head around that free house not free house stuff.

Anonymous said...

I think it's a chain pub - it certainly used to be, when we came here it was a Firkin chain pub, the Freedom & Firkin, then it changed its name and became The George, now it's the Orchard Garden or somesuch.