Wednesday, April 05, 2006

I miss dogwoods

I miss Spring in Tennessee. Spring in England has its charms, too. Though the real spring charms appear later in the UK, end of April - early May, when the hedgerows and bluebells are in bloom. Whole forest glades are bathed in blue. The beauty of Spring in England is soft and blowsy, white and blue. But there are no dogwoods, at least I've never seen any - not Cornus florida anyway, there are some other less spectacular Cornus species about.

But Spring in Tennessee is something else. The dogwoods and redbuds and azaleas in Knoxville when they all come together like they should, are spectacular. The Vol-in-Law has never been to Tennessee during this time.

Flickr user "Uncle Mike in Knoxville" has a picture of early dogwoods which cheers me.

2 comments:

St. Caffeine said...

Sorry, Vol. I'll take some dogwood pictures for sure (one in my front yard) and maybe some redbuds this afternoon and pass them along if that'll help. You know me, always willing to help.

Anonymous said...

I kinda like the bright yellow rape fields, too.