Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Good news at last on the legislative front

Well, I read from the Tennessee Guerilla Women, that Tennessee's anti-dildo measure died in committee.

...recent legislation proposed in the TN legislature, which would have made it a criminal act to “knowingly sell, advertise, publish, or exhibit to another person any three-dimensional device designed or marketed to be used primarily for the stimulation of human genitalia.”

While the TN bill died in committee, almost identical legislation has been enacted in other Southern States. Last month, the Supreme Court of MS upheld similar legislation, saying the ban of sexual toys was not protected by the right to privacy.

Although neither a purveyor nor advertiser of three-dimensional devices designed to... and I'll admit not a customer either, I thought this legislation was stupid, invasive and a waste of taxpayer money. But shamefully I didn't do anything about it.

See, I'm all for keeping legislators out of our bedrooms, and I know that it's the thin end of the wedge and all, but I just couldn't quite work up the gumption to write to my state rep in support of the sex-toy-freedom.

Dear Legislator,

Please keep sex toys unfettered and unregulated. And if they must be regulated, let it be for safety or truth in advertising.

I will be voting on this issue.

Yours,

VA

See... But anyway, there's a party in support of sex toys in Memphis (where else but degenerate West Tennessee) and if you're of a mind - all the details are over there at the Tennessee Guerilla Women.

2 comments:

genderist said...

This cracks me up... so much so, in fact, that I'd be tempted to creatively picket if I was at home and the bill *didn't* die in committee!

jen said...

Yes! Finally, a cause I can get behind!