Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Skin so smooth

British transplant surgeons are accusing the Chinese government of selling the organs of executed prisoners. Folks have been saying these kind of things for a long time. The Chinese deny it.

But see the picture accompanying the BBC story.


Doesn't it look suspiciously like a Chinese takeaway box?

______________

In other dead Chinese prisoner news, I can't quite get a post I read at Six Meat Buffet out of my head. In this one, the Chinese are accused of using executed prisoner parts for cosmetics. This is not denied (via World Tribune)

The agent said some of the company‘s products have been exported to Britain, and that the use of skin from condemned convicts was “traditional" and nothing to “make such a big fuss about,“ the Guardian reported.

Now when I saw that, I thought of a miracle lotion that I bought in Florence. It was one of the hottest, driest summers in Italy. My feet were uncomfortably dry, the skin was cracked and painful, and we had a lot of walking to do. I went to a pharmacy near the plaza where the replica David is displayed and in my non-existent Italian (i.e. my poor Spanish which seemed to work reasonably well) I tried to explain what I needed. I showed the woman my feet. Ahhh, she said, and then jabbered something in Italian and handed me a small tube. That mystery unction cost me about 11 euros. I had never bought such an expensive cosmetic product, but I paid up rather than try to explain in halting Spanish that I wanted something cheaper.

I applied it, and it was like a miracle. I was immediately more comfortable. But since reading that SMB post, I've been wondering just what (or who) was in that tube.

Rotation of 2006-04-19 002

I dug it out and checked the ingredients...they were non-existent. I assume super karite e lipoaminoacidi di grano doesn't mean dead dissident.

No comments: