Saturday, January 20, 2007

amateur kitty dieters

Despite our moderate success in kitty dieting, our cats are bush league dieters. They're nothing compared the kitty candidate for slimmer of the year.

Willie the Cat - has lost almost 5 pounds - although his picture looks like he's lost way more than that. (Of course, Willie's standing up pose is well chosen to make him look trim. Is he sucking in his kitty tum there?)

My colleague - the one who from time to time likes to look at (and laugh at) this picture of Other Cat when she's feeling down - sent me this news of Willie.

And although I'm sure she didn't mean anything by it - Willie the Cat is the typical fat American.

Ms Ebrahim, 43, who moved to Manobier near Tenby, three years ago, said Willie put on weight through lack of exercise when they were living in the US a few years ago. He was always a very big cat in size. We lived in America and he was primarily an indoor cat - we lived in an upstairs flat and he got bigger and bigger," she said.


Oh dear. It turns out that after moving to the UK, he got more excercise and is now competing for the svelte cat crown.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm Willie's mother, Helen. I just did a google to see if his award story had been picked up anywhere, and came across this site. I'm afraid the NY Post is already accusing me of "anti-Americanism." LOL.

Lynnster said...

That is too funny. Consequently, I have two former basketballs here who have both slimmed down to a nice weight and have stayed that way a couple of years now, but I have no idea how or why. They were both ridiculously fat for a while, and one of them had never been fat before that.

Speaking of cats, how is Fancy's hair loss problem? My Schuyler, who had been balding a little, has suddenly started balding much more but only on the underside - stomach, insides of legs, etc. I swear it's a weird black cat thing.

Vol Abroad said...

Well, Helen and Willie - good luck! When Other Cat was an indoor flat cat she porked up, too. Of course, she's not American at all - born in Coventry and a London cat most of her life. We have a garden now, but Other Cat is lazy - and frankly hasn't been much interested in playing after her mother (our previous cat) died a couple of years ago now.

To Lynnster - Fancy's hair problem is getting worse, but not rapidly and I'm taking her to the Vet this week.