Sunday, January 14, 2007

Filthy creatures

Fellow expat Maureen from A View from England highlights a new London based blog - that isn't by your usual Englishman. Why the author isn't even human. The blog itself - pigeon scratchings.

Pigeons are not my favourite bird. In fact, I admit that I actually dislike pigeons quite a lot! I do have a sense of humour though so I think the only online diary of a London pigeon is quite funny - but whether that is the intention or not is another matter!

The blog links to a website called, Save the Trafalgar Square Pigeons, a campaign that I think is intended to be taken seriously but which I personally think is a ridiculous idea. I happen to agree with Mayor Ken Livingstone's views of the pigeons as dirty pests or as the pigeons are also described - "rats with wings", and I think the mayor is quite right to discourage tourists from feeding the pigeons.

I think Maureen's being very generous on the humor front. The blog is funny, but in a cringeworthy way. Like watching a really bad dancer take the floor in an earnest attempt to impress.

But I agree with her view on pigeons. The only thing that keeps me from helping Ken with his campaign to rid London of the little pests is that I'm basically quite squeamish - well, that and I hate Ken with every fiber of my being. I hate him more than pigeons. The only thing that would please me more than pigeons out of Trafalgar Square would be to hear that Ken had been done in by a flock of the angry beasties who had subsequently croaked on his poisoned flesh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm pleased you agree with my view about pigeons! I happen to dislike Ken too but at least as Mayor of London he is behind the idea to stop the sale of pigeon feed in Trafalgar Square.