Thursday, January 18, 2007

The limits of rudeness

Advisory: This post contains strong language of an adult nature

I can't believe I'm posting about Celebrity Big Brother. The "normal" version of Big Brother is bad enough - but pack the tv fishbowl with a bunch of second rate celebs and it's even less interesting.

But here I am commenting on it. Here's why.

Many, many people are upset over "racism" on Big Brother. There have been 27,000 complaints (and counting) to Channel 4, which produces and airs the show. Apparently, a Bollywood actress, Shilpa Shetty has born the brunt of many negative comments from her fellow celebrity incarcerees. Shilpa Shetty is probably an annoying diva, but I bet she's more talented than the other D-list shut-ins and makes a ton more money, too. I'm sure that's at the root of the problem, rather than racism per se.

When asked whether she thought she'd been the victim of racial abuse, Shilpa Shetty didn't think so. She didn't think she'd been treated well by Jade Goody (another participant) but she didn't think the remarks were racially motivated.

I think there are a lot of insecurities from her end, but I don't think it's racial.


Now I don't know if any of them are racist or not. But I have noticed that appalling behaviour - rude, crass comments, sexism, classism, snobbery (reverse or straightforward) go unremarked on - unless, of course, it smacks of racism.

Jade Goody's boyfriend called Ms Shetty a name which was bleeped. Many people complained that he'd called her a "Paki" (a derogative term for someone of Pakistani origin - Ms Shetty is in fact Indian). But actually, he'd called her "cunt". Well, that's ok then, apparently. Misogyny is all good viewing - (until you use the c-word), but woe betide anyone who uses a racial epithet.

I don't think it's OK to call Ms Shetty a Paki or a cunt. I don't think that this is the kind of behaviour we want from anyone. Why can't we just stand up for decency? Why do people even watch these nasty-mouthed people act in ways we wouldn't (or shouldn't) tolerate on the playground. Have we become so immune to rudeness that we only think it's worthy of comment when it's racist? Personally, I think we should be drawing the line a lot higher.

(Oh - and for anyone who comes to this post looking for Paki cunt - go fuck yourself. And yes, I do appreciate my own self-generated irony)

8 comments:

jen said...

I think what I would say makes it "racism" rather than just stupidity, is that they've said these things in a derogatory, hateful fashion - which means it's not just ignorance, but willful denigration.

(Or so I read - I haven't actually watched it.)

But I think what's even more appalling is that viewership has gone up because of the row - people are tuning in to see people being horrible to other people. That's a pathetic commentary on society, if you ask me.

Tim said...

All I can say is that the majority of so-called "reality" shows nauseate me, including any sort of Big Brother or Big Brother runoff.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vol Abroad said...

I actually watched 10 minutes of it - and they all swear up and down it's not racism and, you know what, I don't care. It doesn't make my point any different. Why should this be the only kind of rudeness that we get excited about? It's not like they've denied her housing or a job or tried to kill her or stop her marrying outside her race - it's just that one group of egotistical "personalities" doesn't like another one because I reckon she makes them feel inadequate and they were mean to her. That's all.

jen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jen said...

(sorry about all the deleted comments - i keep reformulating my thoughts on this!)

"Why should this be the only kind of rudeness that we get excited about?"

It shouldn't be the only one - but most would argue it is the most hurtful one. And this is a country with stuff like "hate speech laws".

They have the right to show it (even if I don't think they *should*) but it's sickening that that's what gets ratings, and therefore ensures it will stay on the telly...

Anonymous said...

"It shouldn't be the only one - but most would argue it is the most hurtful one."

I'm not sure how hurtful it is to a high-caste Indian who's presumably quite secure in her superiority to the white trash who are denigrating her. In fact I get the impression that it was Shetty's obvious awareness of her own superiority that provoked the abuse.