Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Vol-in-Law gets famous

My husband is going to be on 18 Doughty Street tonight (I think). This is British Conservative web tv.

Before he left to go to the studio for the pre-record, he was wearing an old shirt of VolBro's. It's some kind of collared blue-on-white plaid, polo-like shirt. I suspect it was an unwanted gift to my brother (VolBro is very selective in sartorial matters) which the Vol-in-Law scavenged from a Lawrenceburg closet. The ViL loves it.

"Is that the shirt you're wearing?" I asked. Meaning: I know it's only Internet tv, but it's still tv.
He said no, but he kept wearing the shirt and it was getting to be time to go.
"Are you wearing that shirt?" I asked. Meaning: Please don't wear that shirt.
He changed shirts.

Anyway, if he thinks it went well, I'll link to the actual programme.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job VIL! Although I must say that conservatives in the US have figured out how to quickly marginalize those who deviate from the party line (moderate Republicans). Surely British Conservatives can figure it out.
Marginalization is not a tool only of the left. VM

PS It was great to see you on TV,
I thought you looked spiffy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Vol Mom! Yes I agree entirely about the US neocons; however the reason they're so adept at Marcusian repressive/liberating 'tolerance' (ie excluding heretics) is that the origins of neoconservatism with Irving Kristol et al lie in the Trotskyist left, and they have successfully adapted the same thought-control techniques to the Right. There is a neoconservative strand in British conservatism that seeks to follow the US model, the 18 Doughty St people are sympathetic, but British neocons are currently far too weak to effectively impose thought control. So in fact the atmosphere on the right here is quite liberal (in the proper sense of liberal).