Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Hooray for Harry

I've never read a Harry Potter book. I saw the first film, thought blechhh, and never had any desire to read any of the books.

I'm not really against them - I just never had any desire to crack the spine of a Potter tale.

But even I can get a little excited about the imminent publication of the latest (and last?) in the series. After all, here was my (rather splendid) entrepreneurial idea the last time a book was published:

I often see people reading Harry Potter books in the Underground. With the most recent one I had a great idea. I knew that a character died, so I hunted around for the spoiler on the Internet. I know who it is. I thought I could wander around the Underground looking for those in the early pages of Harry Potter and the Half-Brain Prince and threaten to tell them who dies unless they give me £10, or maybe £5 if they negotiate.


And this time with all the leaking, I could make a cracking start.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!!! Can I have a piece of this action? I wouldn't take Cletus with you on this mission, however. Harry Potter can provoke violent rage in some people. My friend said if I find out the ending and tell her, she will kill me. Gulp.

Vol Abroad said...

hmmm.... if it's that emotive maybe I should extort more

Anonymous said...

LOL- I just blogged that the people that do this sort of thing are evil. . . I really don't think the two of you would do anything of the sort.

To be safe I may stay away from your sites until I finish reading.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read any either, though my daughters are both fans. I actually started reading the first one to Daughter Number Two when she was in 4th grade, but after the first chapter she took it off and finished it.

I hope you've started reading aloud to Cletus, btw. My babies both loved to listen to nursery rhymes, and I continued reading to them long after they started reading.

Vol Abroad said...

Not so much reading to Cletus as singing along to country music CDs. Does that count?

After seeing your comment though, I did read out much of this week's Economist's letters page while he was nursing.