Thursday, July 19, 2007

Still waiting

I'm still waiting for my first ripe tomato. Readers in the South (of the US, not England) will be jealous of cool, moist weather. I however wouldn't mind just a little BBQ weather and enough sunlight to ripen the 'maters. Particularly this imported strain - Cherokee Purple - reputed to be a heritage variety from Tennessee.


unripe

See what interesting folds and ridges it has. I did know I was taking a chance with this tomato - it might not do well outdoors in this cool clime (it was recommended for greenhouse growing) but neither of my other two varieties have ripened either.

But each of my three tomato plants are still blooming and fruiting and growing.

attack of the killer tomato (blossom)
I call this picture "Attack of the killer tomato blossom"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mine aren't ripe either, but they are going to be soon. My cherry tomatoes aren't as lush looking as yours, but maybe they will have good tomatoes. They are in the rose garden and, thus, planted in pots with growing medium, not soil.
Probably they will taste just like grocery store tomatoes.

Anonymous said...

That sure is a purty looking mater. Maybe it will be worth the wait.

Anonymous said...

wrinkly folds hide bugs and dirt. wash well. your tomatoes.