Sunday, July 01, 2007

jeep on fire

I'm not quite sure what to make of the latest terror attacks on Britain the car bombs in London and the incendiary laden jeep driven into Glasgow airport. I barely leave the house these days and when I do, I don't much manage to venture farther than my doctor's office. So in some ways it all seems quite distant to me*. But one thing I do know, there are people out there who want to kill don't much mind if they kill me. In fact, I'm sure they'd be quite pleased to get a random American and a new mom at that...all that pathos and news coverage.

I would say this was a worrying new development, but in a sense I don't think it is a new development. I think it's a culmination of the inevitable. Sadly, there's a disturbingly large minority of people who wish only chaos and harm in the furtherance of their cause.

I'm not sure what we do about this. But one thing we mustn't do is justify or excuse. This isn't because of Iraq or the knighting of Salman Rushdie or Israel or poverty or racism or inequality. This is because a cancerous sort of righteous ideology has infected too many.


_____
UPDATE: * I may not be leaving the house much, but the Vol-in-Law reminds me that he works near Oxford Street which he describes as "pretty much ground zero for terrorist events".
Really should get that whole life insurance thing sorted.

5 comments:

Newscoma said...

Thinking of you right now.
I can't imagine what you are going through right now with Cletus and your hubs.
Just wanted you to know I was sending you some good vibes.

This world is a weird and scary place.

Furrow said...

This sucks. Wishing the Vol family safety. Do get that life insurance, though. Not just for this, but so you don't have to worry every time the VIL comes home late.

Furrow said...

That sounded weird. Of course you'd worry for his wellbeing, anyway. You know what I mean

Anonymous said...

Life insurance. sigh. it's a good investment in peace of mind. Do I need to start telling scary stories to the ViL again?

Vol-in-Law said...

Thanks furrow, 'preciate it. :)