Friday, July 13, 2007

Old friends

I don't have a lot of time to read right now and my attention span is pretty limited. But I usually need to read a little bit before nodding off to sleep.

So, I've gone back to an old friend; my pal Trav. He lives at Slip F-18 Bahia Mar on a houseboat he won in a poker game.

The Travis McGee series of mysteries. Easily digestible. But full of little nuggets and interesting characters. Originally introduced to me by another old friend. I've probably read them all at least twice. I've probably owned all the books at least once - and I've always regretted giving them away. There's been a gap of quite a few years since I last read one of the series. So I managed to get through the first one I went back to, The Long Lavender Look, without remembering too much (except, oddly enough, the crucial twist). And now I'm reading A Tan and Sandy Silence, and all of a sudden, a few pages in, nearly the whole story came back to me, but I'll soldier on.

You don't forget old friends just 'cause they keep telling the same stories.

5 comments:

andrea said...

So...just catching way up on your blog and a big congratulations on baby Cletus :)

Is it possible you could email me? I can't find your email anywhere and have some questions for you about the delivery/birth/st georges...it's still a secret but i may be there around, oh, january? doing the same thing? I know you are a busy new mom but I would appreciate it :)

andreabotham at yahoo dot com

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry MacDonald ran out of colors. I used to devour Travis McGee books. One of the best is The Green Ripper. Hope you have it.

St. Caffeine said...

Gee, Vol, this is kind of spooky. I picked up a 3-in-1 Travis omnibus at the library's used book store just last week. I hadn't read one in years until then.

Vol Abroad said...

My library of McGee is currently a bit thin. But I've a got a few to read through.

herschelian said...

Oh yes, the good ol' Busted Flush and the blue Rolls Royce pick-up he drives around in...what a blast from the past. I have a huge set of McDonald's books tucked away in a box somewhere in the house, must dig them out and dust them off...