Saturday, December 31, 2005

Frisco

I haven't been to San Francisco since I was about 8 years old. My dad had a meeting out in California and we went out to stay with my aunt and uncle and cousins on their land about an hour and a half north of San Francisco. Despite it being warm and lovely everywhere else in California, it was freezing and rainy in Frisco. But I swam in the pool and looked at the sea lions and we ate at a really cool Morroccan restaurant on cushions on the floor and hung out at the apartment of one of my Uncle's criminal associate. (He used to be in the import/export business, primarily bringing in herbal products from Mexico til he got busted, now he's an environmental scientist thanks to the rehabilitation program).

We arrived to San Jose airport (what a freaking dump) and took the train to San Francisco. I thought we'd see countryside, but we saw progressively nicer backyards. Our journey was lengthened unfortunately by taking the wrong train. At the Santa Clara station there appeared to be only one platform, and we couldn't find any directions or instructions, so we got on the first train. It went the opposite direction. When we realised our error, I got a little panicky.  It was never clear we were fnally on the right train (the same train incidentally, just reversed at San Jose) until we were actuallly moving.

Once in San Francisco we were offered helpful advice from a local who then asked us for money so he could catch the train home. He was rather large, so we gave him a dollar.  This didn't entirely satisfy him, but we made our escape.

We took the bus from the station to the hotel. That was quite a ride. They all told us we were on the wrong bus for Fisherman's Wharf, we weren't but it was a little unnerving.

The Vol-in-Law was a little traumatised by it all, so we didn't get out as early as we should have. I went out to try to find a sandwich for less than 7 bucks (that was an adventure in itself, but I succeeded!).

We then went out for dinner, enjoying a lovely seafood meal and watching the sea lions off Pier 39.  I was liking the sea lions until in the darkness I realised they looked like big giant slugs lined up on the floating docks.

In the morning I discovered that I had stepped on my glasses during the night and broken them. This is the second pair of glasses broken on this voyage (the Vol-in-Law broke his pair earlier). I can see alright, but not great without glasses, but I do get headaches.

However, we were able to use the gym free of charge (as you would expect at any normal hotel) and swim in the outdoor saltwater pool in the San Francisco drizzle.  We went back to look at the sea lions in the daylight - when they look less like slugs.
--------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld


________________________________________________________________________
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive
anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit:
http://www.star.net.uk
________________________________________________________________________

2 comments:

St. Caffeine said...

Glad you're having a "good" time touring the U.S., though I must say you make New Year's Eve in Decatur seem a bit dull. Oh well, I'm about to open the first bottle of oatmeal stout.

genderist said...

Happy 2006!