Thursday, December 15, 2005

Too funny

An anonymous Vol is selling his football loyalty to the highest bidder on eBay (via Great Smoky).

The bidding is high - over $700. Wow.

I kinda wish I could do that. But I can't. It takes me a long time to develop sporting loyalties. My Tennessee Volunteers thing is congenital - so I'm not sure how I could shake that off if even I wanted to. By association, I like the other UT - the Longhorns, 'cause I have lots of Texan friends, and well, they're still UT in a way.

I've struggled for years to find a professional soccer team in England to support (I'm leaning more strongly toward Chelsea than any team I've ever considered). I also have a bit of thing for 2nd division Millwall (but that's a topic for a whole 'nother post).

I do wholeheartedly support the England national squad* in the World Cup and the European tournament, but getting there was a long and sometimes painful journey. Like the Vols, England is good on defense, sometimes a little lacklustre on offense, some discipline and focus issues. Full of promise and amazing talent, they'll break your heart in the end. I expect at least one episode of genuine tears this forthcoming World Cup.

_______

The ViL likes to tease me and once asked me in front of my Vol crazy brother (VolBro) "Who would you support if England were playing the Vols?".

I reply "Well, it's not the same sport, or same country, one's NCAA the other's pro, it just wouldn't happen."

"But what if they did?"

I can tell my England fandom is huge since I have to think about it (VolBro says thinking about it is a sign of disloyalty), but in the end I have to plump for the Vols.

No comments: