Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Tecnical difficulties

My email hasn't been working since sometime yesterday. So I haven't been able to post. I've been going through withdrawal pangs. I think I have a problem.

The ViL and I went to the Knoxville country dancers contra dance last night, and it was great. I used to go every Monday at the Laurel Theater. If you're in the Knoxville area and like folk dancing I highly recommend it. It's easier than square dancing and they always have live music.

Afterwards VolBro and I went to Krogers where our groceries were bagged by a fellow in a stars and bars airbrushed gimme cap. He spontaneously asked my brother "Do you like Lynyrd Skynyrd". Of course.

In England no one ever bags your groceries for you and my first couple times I stood at the checkout waiting for someone to appear. Just lately, ccasionally, the cashier will offer to bag, but the offer is made so grudgingly that I usually just do it myself. They certainly wouldn't ask you if you like Lynyrd Skynyrd.

I'm still having a little trouble with the jet lag and tire early and then wake up ridiculously early. We went up to Hardees this morning for a sausage biscuit while it was still dark.

We also made it down to the UT bookstore, where we I got me some UT paraphenelia. The prices were so high I got that same queasy Big Orange Screw rip off price feeling that I had when I was a student. Ahh nostalgia.

However, I am now the proud owner of a roller bag emblazoned with a big orange Power T. There probably won't be too many of those in London. I needed one anyway, since my old one broke and the small ones are ideal for overnight journeys to the crap towns I have to go to on business occasionally.

I also bought a mug because it turns out that VolBro has but one mug in his house. I had to drink my morning coffee from a plastic Solo cup.

At the counter on impulse I bought the special Rocky Top mix CD (all Rocky Top all the time, I'm looking forward to the Techno mix) The student cashiers were much amused. They said they were sick of Rocky Top. I explained that the further away you get from Knoxville the better it sounds. I used to be sick of it myself, particularly when I worked at the stadium and had the privilege of lisening to the band practice it for what seemed like hours every day during the summer. I did truly think at one point that if I heard Rocky Top one more time I'd kill myself or use the base of the giant V atop the stadium as a gun rest so I could spray bullets at the scattering members of the Pride of the Southland Band.


UPDATE: The techno Rocky Top mix was kind of amusing, but that amusement wears thin pretty quick. Should be a smash hit at the old summer BBQs, bet my neighbors are gonna love it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"...I got me some UT paraphenelia."

"Me" is redundant. Yep. You're home.