Friday, December 16, 2005

What not to wear

A certain person yesterday condemned my dress sense as a bit outlandish and said I belonged on a British show called "What not to wear". On this show, hosts Trinny and Susannah ridicule their guests for their poor sartorial style and then take them for a London shopping spree to have their image remade.

Ouch. 

I will admit to taking a fashion risk. And with any gamble sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. I will admit to slobby days.  I will admit that my usual approach is iconoclastic. My sensibilities are artistic. I like to believe that I have style.

Not only that, but living in London allows me a little fashion lattitude. As I cast my eyes around my Northern line carriage I can see fellow passengers who have skated to close to the edge and have, I might say, fallen off.

To wit, the woman across from me who wears: a purple suedette slip dress, a mint green cotton jacket, a kelly green loose hand knit acrylic yarn hunter's cap, an olive green scarf shot with metallic threads of silver, gold and bronze, black tights, cobalt blue tennis shoes (with red detailing) and turquoise leg warmers that are so well worn they must date from the late 70s early 80s.

(Apologies for lack of semi-colons, I'm on the Blackberry)

My critic herself has a strange passion for velveteen blazers paired with low cut lace trimmed cotton t-shirts and never, ever wears an appropriate overcoat.

Anyway, in for a penny in for a pound. Today, I accessorize with orange and cowboy boots.

--------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld


________________________________________________________________________
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive
anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit:
http://www.star.net.uk
________________________________________________________________________

2 comments:

Anglofille said...

I admit I like to watch Trinny and Susannah but they are wretched women! They think any problem can be fixed by getting a makeover. It's such bs. And they erase all personal style. All the women on that show end up becoming clones dressed by TopShop or H&M.

jen said...

Ah, but it's hard to argue that they do look heaps better than when they started! ;)