Monday, December 12, 2005

Seeing Tennessee - advice please!

Well, guys and gals - in less than a week I'll be back in the land of my birth. I'm really looking forward to seeing my old haunts and friends. But I'd like to show my husband the best of Tennessee, (no offense to my old haunts and friends) and I'd be most grateful for any advice.

Knoxville
I'm in to Nashville next Sunday then straight to Knoxville on Monday. On Monday night I plan to go to the Knoxville Country Dancers at the Laurel Theatre - I shall be staying at the nearby Chateau VolBro. Yep, I'm staying in the Fort, the neighborhood of my birth and many a lost weekend (aw, hell, truth be told, a lost 1989-90).

VolBro works at a local booze emporium, so this is their busy season (gettin' people drunk in East Tennessee is hard work). He'll be working from 2 to 10 a lot so we'll have our afternoons and evenings free - though I will be trying to hook up with some old friends.

So gentle readers, any advice of how to kill a couple of afternoons that doesn't involve ____ Town Mall would be most helpful.

Nashville
VolMom called tonight about our Middle Tennessee plans. Looks like we'll be back in Middle Tennessee around the 23d. She wants to go and eat dinner at the Opryland Hotel. I've done that. It's fine. But we do have a lot of swanky hotels in London, believe it or not. (Although fair to say, none quite like the Opryland Hotel.) And we will be off to Vegas later in the holiday, so mega hotels with...um...spectacular decor, will be a poker chip a dozen.

I kinda want to go to the Opry. I think our time in Nashville will be heavily regimented (i.e. cousins and aunts and uncles and stuff), but any advice would be most gratefully received.

Lawrenceburg
Yes, looks like we'll be stuck happily visiting in Lawrenceburg for eternity a number of days. Does anyone have any advice of things to do and see in Lawrenceburg? Thanks to Murfreesboro blogger Rex L Camino, who knows about these things, I've now been assured that the Owl's Nest, a fine drinking establishment on Hwy 43 North is still in bidness. Not only that, but it's for sale... I could give up the old public policy game and open me a dive. I'll ask the Vol-in-Law what he thinks.

Actually, I hear my bad, bad cousin Steve will be in town, back from his permanent exile in Texas. So, it should be fun.

Reelfoot Lake - looks like I won't have time to be going there - again. I've never been.

5 comments:

St. Caffeine said...

Well of course you'll take him to all the David Crockett themed stuff -- including the only statue commemorating old Davy -- right?

Other than that, hmm ... I guess it's just the Amish country.

Oh, you could come down AL way and I'd take y'all to the lovely Ansel Adams exhibit. If you're not looking for culture, I could just share my home brewed oatmeal stout that should be drinkable in about 2.5 weeks.

Vol Abroad said...

ooh - Ansel Adams sounds good. Could put to rest an ongoing dispute the ViL and I have been having about whether photography is art (me: yes, him:no)

Is that the really the only statue commemorating Davy?

St. Caffeine said...

If you and ViL see the Adams exihibit you will most certainly win this argument (as I suspect you do most)! I gushed about it over at 3rd B.

As for the statue, so "they" claim.

Anonymous said...

In Nashville you've got to sign up for the Nash Trash Tour. It's 90 minutes of absolute hiliarity that ViL will never forget.

http://www.eccentricamerica.com/inside/11.htm

Anonymous said...

Here's their direct web address:

http://www.nashtrash.com/