Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving

Well, Happy Thanksgiving, y'all. Today I am not doing anything for Thanksgiving. Some years I do and some years I don't. Given that I no longer have a working oven, this will be a year without a big home cooked Thanksgiving dinner (maybe I'll get some turkey steaks and do them on the George Foreman). I will be attending a big Thanksgiving event on Sunday with around 120 members of the American community. But in our host country, today is a working day and so those of us with British employers or clients are working.

Sometimes it can be a little sad that you're not gathered round a big table eating turkey and whatever sides are traditional in your family - but it could be a heck of a lot worse. I'm working at home today, so even though I have a lot to get through, I am indeed thankful that I'm not commuting. I'm also thankful that I'm at home and not on the road.

The worst Thanksgiving I spent in the UK, I had to travel up to the northwest. I spent the afternoon of Thanksgiving interviewing senior police officers and then standing for around a half hour in front of the closed police headquarters in the freezing weather waiting for a cab. I spent the evening dining alone at the Holiday Inn Preston Ringway and watching tv in my hotel room. I mostly just tried to pretend that it wasn't Thanksgiving.

So enjoy your day and be thankful you're not in Preston.

No comments: