Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I just can't go out that door

We have two locks on our front door. But as of Saturday, one of them quit working. Just wouldn't catch anymore. So tonight Vol-in-Law got out the old power drill and tried to rework the lock. Now normally, I prefer to be in charge of the power drill, but he had the initiative so I let him get on with it.

He resolved to fix the lock by the time the pizza we ordered arrived. He managed to get it to work and pulled the door to, only to discover that we we were now locked in. The latch would not come loose. There's really only one good way out of our house and that's via the front.

Just as we were beginning to panic a little the pizza guy arrived. I had to holler through the door "I'm sorry, we've locked ourselves in."

The Vol-in-Law went round to the front room, stood on the sill and opened the small high front windows. He passed the delivery man the money and the pizza guy reached up and slid the pizza through the window.

To be honest, I wasn't really in the mood to eat by that point, and got out my little mini-crow bar (my favorite tool) and started working on the latch, til I got it to pop off. (The Vol-in-Law had only installed one screw at that point as a test it was in the right place).

Looks like we have another errand to add to our list this weekend.

No comments: