Friday, November 18, 2005

Monkey pet

I always wanted a monkey for pet. When I was in first grade we lived in Philadelphia for a year. I went to a private school that was cool and quirky. In our Science room there was a monkey. How cool is that? Sure, the room smelled like monkey, but still...

Ever since then I've wanted a monkey pet. I already have two cats - Fancy and Other Cat, who are just as adorable as can be... but they ain't monkeys.

white and black cat
Cute, but not a monkey

My friend Karen, from Mississippi, told me her dad once had a monkey pet with a poor understanding of etiquette. If I remember correctly, which I probably don't, she said that it would steal food and throw it around the house. This did not deter me in the quest for a monkey pet.

I keep tellin' the Vol-in-Law that I want a monkey pet, but I'm afraid he's kind of the sensible sort. He says "They bite. They're nasty and smelly and dirty. And they cost money." For more of this view - see Rex L. Camino's coverage of the Mississippi Night Monkey incident here and further updates here. Plus Paris' monkey runs amok here. It's like a full season of that show When Good Pets Go Bad (or as it might be more aptly titled: When Really Inappropriate Pets that You Messed With Did Exactly What You Thought They Might) but with court artist's representation.

Hmmph. I still think it would be great. Plus I think a monkey would be the ideal companion for Fancy and Other Cat.


Photo ripped from One Fun Site

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look! They're playing! I vote that Fancy needs some monkey companionship.

Rex L. Camino said...

That sign language gorilla always had a kitty, but I don't think she ever rode it. That would've been fun.

I think a small monkey might work, as they are less able to take your arms off and beat you to death with them.

My desire for a monkey pet, like many, can be traced directly to repeated viewings of Every Which Way But Loose. I'm sure that film was huge for monkey sales.

Godspeed you in your dream, Vol Abroad.

melusina said...

Paris had to give up her monkey. Except it wasn't really a monkey. And it was illegal in LA.

I've always wanted a monkey like the one they had on Friends. I'm not sure my cats, in their old age, could handle a monkey brother though.

Baby Monkey said...

Been thinking about getting a baby monkey as a pet. And I want to take it for rides on the motorcycle. Not sure though. I don't want them if they are gonna try to hump everything. Or pick through all my stuff. Or poo everywhere.

Anyone ever have one or know someone who had a baby monkey pet. Also, how long do they usually live? 10 years is probably okay, but I don't want it to live much longer than that.