Friday, November 18, 2005

This is why I like Bob Krumm

Bob Krumm has a post on an Federal Election Commission (FEC) ruling which, basically, hopefully, means that bloggers can keep on blogging even if they have a political axe to grind.

Bob thinks that's a good thing. I do, too.

Bob finds himself defending Kos against GOP Blogger, despite the fact that he's a (potential) Republican candidate for the Tennessee State Senate:

So I just laud a story from Kos, and the next thing that pops up on my news feed is a GOP Blogger story that I disagree with, talking about a similar subject. It's entitled: The FEC Ought to Regulate Liberal Hollywood.

An excerpt:

The FEC loves to quantify the value of in-kind contributions and it ought to figure out how much NBC is contributing to liberal causes with its propaganda.

Something must be wrong when I'm defending Kos against Republicans. It's time for me to go to bed.


Many issues he's blogged on, I don't agree with his take. But those are political issues. I have to say he's always blogged on keeping political discourse civil and keeping politics and public service ethical and transparent. I also think that's the way things ought to be. He's seems so wedded to this philosophy, I have to wonder why he's a Republican. :-)

________
Update: The Vol-in-Law thought my last comment was too mean. He says "The important thing is for the Republican party to turn around, and that means encouraging decent people to run as Republican candidates"

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a very kind thing of you to say. Thanks. And the Vol-in-law is correct in the reverse as well. That's why I like to see guys like Joe Lieberman, Mark Warner, and even Russ Feingold gain prominence within the Democratic Party.

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly with this post. Which is why when I read comments like these from Mr. Krumm it makes me kind of sad.
http://moorethoughts.com/2005/11/17/say-what-2/#comments

Vol Abroad said...

Yes - ouch!! Not good. Maybe it sounded funnier in his head than it looks typed out?? Maybe?

But I have to say that once again, I agree with Bob K that I'd prefer Egalia in the succession over Stevens, too - even if I'd put it in a much different way.

Anonymous said...

Brittney, don't be so thin-skinned.

The ape/gorilla/guerrilla thing is a little personal joke. When I was a young kid--probably about 6, I asked my parents after watching the news if, since "gorillas" were killing Americans, it was safe to go to the zoo.

Finally, I have no intention of being a guarded, cautious candidate who subtly nuances everything he says so as not to offend anyone. If you're looking through my words to find offense--believe me, you'll find it. It's my hope however, that people can see past the usual partisan clutter to find that they're in agreement with me more than 51% of the time. At least on the most important issues.

Anonymous said...

I applaud your not bowing to criticism you don't see as valid. However, I maintain that when the male bloggers pile on egalia calling her "ape woman" and "gorilla woman" that it is incredibly juvenile, detrimental to intelligent discourse and not befitting a Seante candidate.

St. Caffeine said...

Okay, I missed the whole gorilla vs. guerilla thing, but it reminds me of my favorite scene in the movie Captain Ron.

Back to the regulation of political bloggers, though; I haven't been following the whole story as closely as I should, but it flat out frightens me. Still, that's the kind of thing that naturally follows when Congress opens a Pandora's box like campaign finance reform. There's no such thing as a free lunch and there's no policy without an unintended consequence.

Vol-in-Law said...

>>That's a very kind thing of you to say. Thanks. And the Vol-in-law is correct in the reverse as well. That's why I like to see guys like Joe Lieberman, Mark Warner, and even Russ Feingold gain prominence within the Democratic Party.<<

Hi Bob - I think in a political system based on two broad parties, it's important that both those parties attract people of honour and integrity, who are "reality based" and propose policies that are different but that each have some arguable merit. When extremist groups capture control of a party, such as Militant Tendency's attempt to subvert the British Labour Party in the early '80s, they threaten the basis of the political process. Of course it can be difficult to recognise when such groups have formed, at least at first.

Anonymous said...

It was a stupid thing for me to write. (the gorilla/guerrilla thing)

I came to that conclusion when I considered how it irks me when Molly Ivins dismissively refers to President Bush as shrub.

Of course, once I realized that I was behaving like Ms. Ivins, I felt like scrubbing myself with steel wool.

Dan said...

Good for you, Mr. Krumm. I've never been a big fan of ring knockers but you seem like a pretty good fella. By the by, I run in to Molly here and there around Austin every once in a while. I'll pass along your hygiene tip...she'll be very amused and not the least bit put out. Good luck in your race.