Thursday, November 10, 2005

Salsa time

When I get sick, I get ill (ill in the sense of testy and bad tempered). I still have my cold and I am in a bad mood. The littlest thing is likely to tick me off.

So when I noticed a young man in headphones sit down next to me in the tube I was all ready to get upset. I despise musical overleak. Especially the shhh-shhh-shhh of heavy rock or the thunka thunka thunk of hip hop.

But just as I began to detect the first note of his music and felt my hackles rise, I realised it was salsa.

For some reason salsa is the one type of music I don't mind spilling out of someone's house, car or headphones (I also don't mind piano concertos). It lifts my spirits.

I suppose it reminds me of my time living in Puerto Rico when my daily walk or bike ride to school was enlivened by salsa pouring out windows, quickening my pace. Yes, most of it was salsa, but there were also two houses on my route with piano concertos, too.

4 comments:

St. Caffeine said...

Hmm, I'm fighting a bit of a bug myself. Maybe I should forget the chicken soup and just go salsa. Thanks, Vol, you're a lifesaver!

St. Caffeine said...

or I could eat chicken soup WHILE listening to salsa!

Dan said...

Or you could put salsa in your chicken soup while listening to salsa.

Anonymous said...

I'm the only person I know who listens to salsa when on the tube. I wonder if it was me?