Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Hankering

Every once and a while I get a hankering for some artery stoppering down home food.

Today I would like:

1. Fried chicken (breast only)
2. Mashed potatoes (made with milk, little or no butter, lots of gravy)
3. Biscuits - flaky and sour and hot and buttery - steam rising when I pull it open, I'll pile on the mash and the gravy and eat it with a fork.
4. Green beans - cooked to mush with bacon grease and lots of pepper
5. A side of fried okra (ideally homemade - but the frozen kind that you fry up will do ok)
6. Sliced tomatos - juicy and earthy

What I'll have:

Maybe a tuna sandwich?

My biscuits are sub-par and my gravy is poor and lumpy or grease with a bit of flour at the bottom. I haven't attempted fried chicken since VolMom yelled at me when a mess didn't turn out right. Green beans take too long and I'd have to clean out my deep fat fryer to make the homemade okra (you can't buy the frozen kind here). The tomatos are already dull and tasteless this time of year.

2 comments:

Dan said...

You just described my post-church (Southern Baptist, of course) Sunday dinner growing up. Daddy got the breast though; I got the pulley bone. Mamma made do with the neck and a thigh. We'd have sliced onion or peppers out of the garden too. Dessert was usually 'nanner puddin' or lemon icebox pie. Lots of sweet tea to wash it all down.

Daddy's passed on so Mamma gets the breast now. And when I get to go home and visit? I still get that pulley bone. Thanks for making me think about it...it's a good feeling.

Vol Abroad said...

I don't even know how to cut up a chicken - so I can just buy a pack of breasts if I wanted to make some.

Those were our desserts, too. But I didn't fantasize about those - I started to think about dessert - but then I decided to fantasize about extra biscuits until my tummy was uncomfortably full.